Thursday, June 5, 2008

Rainy Day--How appropriate!

Yesterday was a very rainy day. It felt right. You may not know that 10 years ago, June 4th, was also a very rainy day. You probably don't remember that but I remember it well. I'll tell you what happened that day.

I had spent the night at my fiance's parents' house. We woke up to rain, lots of rain. We scrambled around getting ready for the big day. We were supposed to be at the temple at 8:00. Our wedding was to start at 9:00. We got on the road and were making good time despite the pouring rain when I realized that I didn't have my temple recommend. We went back to the soon-to-be-in-laws' house and searched for it. I remembered that the day before, we had gone to the temple to do a session and I had asked Mr. one-day-would-become-Dad to hold my recommend for me. He put it in his shirt pocket. Later, his mom washed that shirt so it would be ready for the next day. You guessed it. We found the little plastic cover for my temple recommend in the dryer. We got to the temple at 9:00, an hour late, explained what had happened, and they let me in since we had the separate recommend you need to perform a temple sealing. What a relief!

Bountiful Utah Temple

After the ceremony (which was lovely) we took pictures in an underground area around a terrarium and a few right outside the temple where we were protected from the rain. Looking at the pictures now, I wish so badly that things had been different. The Bountiful Temple is beautiful and we didn't get any pictures that really show the temple in the background. I have naturally curly hair so because of the humidity, my hair does not look very good either. The pictures with all the family and friends who came look kind of funny because we're all squished together in a hallway. Then, after the pictures, we went to a restaurant for the wedding breakfast and everyone got the directions except for us, so we were late. We explained what had happened but they teased us that we had found somewhere to park (you know what I mean?!). Oh, and Mr. one-day-would-become-Dad had thrown his back out a few days before the wedding and was very sore and stiff. So, a few things went wrong that day. Looking back, it is comical to think about. That day, though, even with everything that went wrong, I was so extremely happy. Nothing phased me. I didn't care about the rain, or being late, or my hair, or the pictures, or even Mr.'s back (though I did feel bad for him. By the way, on our honeymoon, I had to carry and pack in all the luggage every time we stopped for the night, which was a few times--not that I'm complaining :) ). It was a very happy day for me and I'm still very happy for what occurred on June 4, 1998.

Thanks, for 10 great years, and here's to the next 10 being even better. I love you, honey!

4 comments:

Tamara said...

I remember that day very well. I was going to wish you a happy anniversary on myfamily but yesterday was a very busy long day and I had forgotten. So, I am sorry. But mostly, congrats on 10 wonderful years.

Jenn said...

10 years! congratulations!

Michelle said...

I remember the day, although I don't remember the rain or the temple recommend situation! You must have held your composure well... Congratulations on 10 years!

Kristyn said...

Congratulations! Can you believe it has been 10 years? I remember all those things too, except I don't remember you being late for the luncheon. It just wouldn't be right if everything went perfect.