Thursday, December 13, 2007

It's time to make a decision

I have really struggled with weight loss lately. I realized that in the last 3-4 months I've gained an average of 3 pounds each month. Aarrrgh! That's a nightmare! I've been trying to figure out what the difference has been compared to when I was losing weight during the first half of the year. I think there are a few factors but the main one is my commitment level. Then, I was so committed to losing weight that I resisted cheating most of the time and when I did cheat, I only ate a small portion. Now, even though I have many "good" days in which I make good food choices I also have many binge days where I just lose control and eat a lot of "bad" food. As I was losing weight I realized this difference. I was thinking about food in a different way and I found that I was able to have a few bites of something fattening that I really wanted and then finish the day out with better food choices. Now, I find that if I indulge at lunch or even earlier sometimes, I'm much less likely to control my eating the rest of the day. Actually, whatever time it is that I say to myself, "This one thing won't hurt," I end up ruining that day eating all kinds of fattening foods.

I think this all just comes down to making a real decision to commit to this lifestyle. I think I'm getting closer to that but maybe not quite yet. I thought I was ready and then this afternoon I lost control again. I just read an article about using a food journal to lose weight and I think that could be very helpful for me. I did do that for a while last winter and it did help. It's tedious but I think it's time. I can at least commit to that even if I can't quite commit to being really serious about a health program. Alright, step one--food journal. Let's see how it goes.

No comments: